Thursday 3 November 2011

continual improvements

Well I hoped to have another video up, but Youtube is struggling to upload pass 80% despite 2 attempts on my latest vid, I will give it another go or create another video. Tho it will fill redundant since I have made many changes since then.


Anyways, Today I worked on improving the "bomber", the bomber for those who may not no or I haven't mentioned it enough, is the main game mechanic where the player can switch to in game, to drop bombs from above and destroy obstacles ahead. After completing the GUI targeting, I discovered a flaw in it, and that it not shooting from the view of the camera because the launcher moves along the x and z axis while the camera is fixed position. I might have to change that in the future. 


Before I had the ability to move the entire camera around, but wanted it in a Fixed position with the mouse cursor controlling where the bombs go. This caused issue such as if a player wants to destroy something they have to be in the right position. So to solve this, I fought well, its a bomber and bombers move, so I have it scroll from behind the player across the x axis. After implementation I noticed a game balance issue in that I had  initially had it so it would start from the beginning of the level and move to the end, problem with this would be the player just go to bomb mode at the start and bomb everything ahead right away. 


To solve that issue, I lessened the scope of movement to not far below and end not far ahead of the current players position, Its worked so far. Then after testing/playing around with the new feature I noticed another game balancing issue, the player could instantly switch back and fourth, So I added in a timer and a horizontal slider to display the time until you can call a bomber. I might add a counter on how many for later harder stages. So overall currently my critical mind is at work and I am doing changes to stuff that took some hours to research and implement without a problem and not keeping them because of all the effort it took. 


The Explosions pack I got from Unity Asset store, has failed to work unlike previous uses which is disappointing, but not a game breaker. I will most likely disable it for now as the explosions are triggering ahead of the player and add in my own particle effects and force later on or get it to work some how. 


Other than that, its slowly coming together scripting wise, My artist has almost finished his contract job and can begin work on the project, and once art assets start coming in I will move from around 2-4 hours of work a day to around 6-10 hours a day on the project. Also still unable to think of a name for the game, and if you are reading this (thanks for reading :D), BSU stands for Blow Sh** up, which is the only name I am thinking right now for the project.


Thanks for reading, my next update will be in a few days, hopefully with a video. I record another tonight and upload right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment